The Basic Guide
CHALK PAINT™ DECORATIVE PAINT BY ANNIE SLOAN
Find out why everyone is calling this the "Miracle" paint?
Restyle your furniture!
Imagine... No Sanding! No Stripping! No Priming! NO REALLY! It's true...
CHALK PAINT® IS A UNIQUE DECORATIVE PAINT DEVELOPED BY ANNIE SLOAN IN 32 DECORATIVE AND HISTORICAL COLOURS MADE SPECIFICALLY FOR PAINTING FURNITURE, PAINTING FLOORS, AND FOR GIVING WALLS A COMPLETELY MATT, VELVETY FINISH. TO DISCOVER THE FULL SPECTRUM OF CHALK PAINT® COLOURS AND PURCHASE OTHER MATERIALS FROM THE ANNIE SLOAN RANGE, SUCH AS SOFT WAX AND PURE BRISTLE BRUSHES, CLICK ON THIS LINK. ORDER CHALK PAINT™ TODAY.
Chalk Paint® sticks to just about any surface... wood, concrete, metal, mat plastic, earthenware and much more, inside and outside the home. It dries fast too so you can add second or third coats quickly, and start enjoying your revitalized walls, floors and furniture sooner. Gorgeous results have never been so simple and straightforward.
Annie Sloan has created a paint that adheres to almost any surface including old wood, melamine, metal, stone, brick and even 100 years of wax build up on old furniture, without much prep work!!!
“Painting with our paint should always be a pleasure.”
ANNIE SLOAN DEVELOPED HER NOW FAMOUS CHALK PAINT™ TO ANSWER THE NEED SHE HAD FOR A PAINT WHICH WOULD HAVE MANY USES FROM ACTING LIKE LIME WASH TO LOOKING LIKE OLD PAINTED FURNITURE AND THAT HAD A GOOD RANGE OF COLOUR THAT COULD BE EXTENDED BY THE USER. THIS PAINT IS VERY EASY TO WORK WITH AND ALLOWS PEOPLE TO BE CREATIVE AS ONE DOESN’T GET INVOLVED WITH THE TECHNICALITIES OF PREPARATION AND IT ALSO ALLOWS YOU TO CHANGE YOUR MIND WITHOUT HASSLE.
BEFORE YOU START PAINTING WITH CHALK PAINT®
Q. How do I prep my piece?
Most times simply dusting off the surface will do. Wipe away any noticeable dirt and grime with a safe-to-use biodegradable cleaner and warm water, rinse well, and let dry completely.
There may be times when you will need to sand to remove loose paint, rust, and other surface debris, or when the surface is glossy or made of melamine or laminate. Use medium or fine grit sandpaper and change it out when it becomes clogged; a fresh sheet makes the task at hand easier to accomplish.
If you are painting new, untreated wood, apply clear shellac to any knots and open grains to block tannins that can bleed up through your new paint layers. Simply wipe on one or two coats with a cloth pad. It dries in minutes, and then you can get on with your painting!
- APPLY CHALK PAINT™ WITH A SYNTHETIC PAINT BRUSH OR ANNIE SLOAN’S BRISTLE BRUSH. DEPENDING ON THE SURFACE YOU MAY NEED TO APPLY 1-2 COATS. (PAINT CAN BE DILUTED WITH WATER FOR A SMOOTHER SURFACE).
- APPLY A THIN THIN LAYER OF CLEAR SOFT WAX WITH A NATURAL BRISTLE BRUSH. APPLY PRESSURE TO AVOID STREAKING.
- WIPE DOWN WAXED SURFACE WITH A PAPER TOWEL OR LINT FREE CLOTH. IF AFTER 1 WEEK YOUR SURFACE REMAINS TACKY TOO MUCH WAX WAS APPLIED. TRY TO WIPE DOWN THE SURFACE AGAIN OR BUFF IT WITH A CHEESECLOTH. IF IT PERSISTS PLEASE CALL US.
- YOU MAY DISTRESS YOUR PIECE USING SANDPAPER AFTER APPLYING YOUR FIRST COAT OF WAX. (PREVENTS FINE DUST FROM SANDING).
- IF A PATINA IS DESIRED, APPLY DARK SOFT WAX, BLACK WAX OR WHITE WAX IN SMALL SECTIONS. WIPE EXCESS OFF WITH LINT FREE CLOTH OR PAPER TOWEL.
- PROCEED TO THIS STEP IF DARK WAX IS NOT APPLIED. RE-APPLY CLEAR SOFT WAX OVER THE AREAS THAT HAVE BEEN DISTRESSED.
- FOR AREAS WITH HIGHER ACTIVITY A SECOND COAT OF CLEAR WAX CAN BE APPLIED 24 HOURS AFTER YOUR FIRST COAT OF WAX. WE SUGGEST 2-3 COATS OF WAX FOR KITCHEN CUPBOARDS AND DINING ROOM TABLES.
- SOFT WAX DRIES WITHIN 24 HOURS BUT TAKES 10-30 DAYS TO FULLY CURE. TREAT YOUR SURFACE GENTLY DURING THIS PERIOD. PLEASE TREAT PAINTED PIECES AS YOU WOULD A FINE PIECE OF WOOD FURNITURE OR ANTIQUE.
- FOR PAINTED PIECES THAT WILL BE USED OUTSIDE OR EXTERIOR SURFACES, DO NOT USE SOFT WAX. MUST WAIT 24 HOURS BEFORE EXPOSING TO THE EXTERIOR ELEMENTS. (SUN, RAIN, SNOW...) THE FIRST TIME YOU WIPE DOWN YOUR SURFACE, SOME PIGMENT MAY COME OFF ON YOUR CLOTH. PAINT CURES IN 30 DAYS.